Eden Prairie Girls Basketball Association – 6C Travel 2020/2021
Parent and Player Rules and Expectations
Head Coach: Sam Matthew, (313) 550-2383 (c),
Assistant Coach: Brad Eckberg, 507-649-1474 (c), firstname.lastname@example.org
Team Manager: Brigette Price, 612-710-1657 (c), email@example.com
- All players, regardless of ability and/or playing time are equal members of the team. Each and every player will treat all teammates with acceptance, respect, and friendship.
- All players will provide maximum effort and attitude in practice and games.
- All players will treat officials and opponents with dignity and respect.
- Attendance at all practices, team meetings, and games is mandatory. While injured players may be unable to play, they are still expected to arrive on time, listen to coaches, and encourage teammates and assist the team.
- Players are to be on time for all practices and games. Tardiness may affect playing time in games.
- Players are expected to dress appropriately (shorts, t-shirt, basketball shoes) and bring water or sports drink, practice pinnie, a mask, and personal basketball to each practice.
- When the coach is instructing the team all basketballs are to be held and full attention is to be on the coach, no talking is permitted.
- Parents will treat players, coaches, opponents, and officials with respect and dignity.
- All comments by parents and their guests from the sidelines will be encouraging and/or complimentary. Parents and guests will refrain from making comments about players’ mistakes or errors.
- Parents will refrain from making derogatory comments to referees at any time.
- Coaching basketball is to be done only by coaches on staff. Parents agree to refrain from coaching or directing their child or other players during all games and practices.
- Parents shall conduct themselves according to EPGBA’s Parent’s Code of Ethics (see
Appendix C of the EPGBA Policy Handbook.)
- Parents will make sure their daughter attends all practices and will be on time.
- Parents will support coaches and encourage their athlete to do the same.
- Conflict Resolution Rules this year (from EPGBA Policy Handbook): After waiting 24 hours, any issue, dispute or conflict that arises involving a coach, player or parent should be handled in the following manner:
- The player and parent should first discuss the matter with the head coach, even if the issue is with the head coach.
- If the matter is not addressed to the satisfaction of all parties, or if a head coach is not assigned, the matter should be presented to the appropriate Coaching Director(s) in writing with a description of what has occurred and what steps have been taken to rectify the situation.
- If the matter still cannot be satisfactorily addressed, the next step is to inform a member of Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee will discuss and determine the appropriate resolution based on the information provided and through discussion with the parties involved.
Additional Information (EPGBA Policy Handbook):
Playing time rules: Performance is used by coaches to determine playing time, which is earned by four main criteria: (1) attendance, (2) effort & focus, (3) attitude & coach-ability, and (4) execution of specific individual and teamwork skills. If these four criteria are met by a player, then that player should receive at least 50% of playing time over the course of each tournament, if eight (8) players or less suit up, and at least 40% of playing time over the course of each tournament, if more than eight (8) players suit up.
i) Definition of an unexcused absence:
1. Any absence in which the team head coach was not notified in a timely manner
2. Any absence that was not approved in advance by the team head coach
3. Absence due to conflicts with other sports
ii) Definition of an excused absence:
1. Absence due to injury or illness of the player
2. Absence due to serious illness or death of a family member
3. Absences due to scheduled church or school activities
4. Absences due to special school assignments
COVID Specific Rules for 2020/2021:
- All players must take their temperature prior to leaving the house to come to the gym. If the player’s temperature is 100.3 F or above, please stay home.
- If the player is feeling any cold/flu/COVID symptoms (a fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, inability to taste, etc.), being tested for COVID and/or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, stay home.
- Please have the girls arrive only 5 minutes prior to practice and pick them up timely after practice.
- Players must bring their own mask/gaiter for a face covering. Players will be expected to arrive at practice with face coverings on. Players can take off face coverings once the level of exertion makes it hard to breathe and should put face coverings back on as soon as possible afterwards.
- Parents/guardians should not attend practices.
- If anyone on the team tests positive, please contact Coach Sam via cell phone immediately.